Monday, December 21, 2009

"Man Who Came to Dinner" Facts and Fun



Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) trailer.

Monty Woolley was the witty, fussy Nathan Lane of his day. He originated the role of Sheridan Whiteside on the stage before taking the role in the film. Nice when an excellent character actor is allowed to play the lead role. Two other Christmas/Family themed films that he is also excellent in are:

Since You Went Away (1944)
The Bishops Wife (1947)

Great quotes (too many to list) from Dinner:

Nurse Preen to Mr. Whiteside: "I am not only walking out on this case, Mr. Whiteside, I am leaving the nursing profession. I became a nurse because all my life, ever since I was a little girl, I was filled with the idea of serving a suffering humanity. After one month with you , Mr. Whiteside, I am going to work in a munitions factory. From now on , anything I can do to help exterminate the human race will fill me with the greatest of pleasure. If Florence Nightingale had ever nursed YOU, Mr. Whiteside, she would have married Jack the Ripper instead of founding the Red Cross!"

Sheridan Whiteside: "I simply will not sit down to dinner with midwestern barbarians, I think too highly of my digestive system."

Sheridan Whiteside: "Is there a man in the world who suffers as I do from the gross inadequacies of the human race?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers