Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reading Homecoming by Bernhard Schlink


While reading this morning on the train - not very far into - Bernhard Schlink's Homecoming I caught a line I thought I would share. One that I wanted to reread. I enjoy his simple style that very accurately conveys emotions and describes characters. The Reader persuaded me to read his follow-up novel. The film version persuaded me to read the book. Kate Winslet persuaded me to see the film. A chain like this linking events and choices could go on forever

"I learned to submit to her happiness and crossness like the weather, which one could not count on, only accept with joy or sorrow."

It is rainy and dreary here today. There is little wonder as to why I should be so sensitive to a sentence regarding the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers